The Benefits and Disadvantages of Gastric Sleeve
Gastric Sleeve Surgery can have major pros and cons, with the ultimate benefit being the ability to reach your weight loss goals. It is important for your health and well-being to closely assess the various options for weight loss surgery. The pros and cons below will help give you a general idea about the advantages and risks in getting the Gastric Sleeve procedure.
The Pros of Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- The sleeve gastrectomy significantly reduces hunger by removing a large portion of the stomach, including the part that creates the hormone, Ghrelin, responsible for producing feelings of hunger.*
- There is no foreign object implanted in the body.
- The amount of weight lost is significant, with some reports stating loss of up 30-50% excess weight within the first 6-12 months.*
- The weight loss from the Gastric Sleeve surgery leads to recovery and improvement of obesity-related conditions such as hypertension, high cholesterol and obstructive sleep apnea.*
- The risk of the gastric sleeve surgery is significantly less than other more invasive bariatric surgeries.
- All the nutrients from the food you consume are absorbed, as the procedure is based on restricting food intake.
Schedule a Free ConsultationContact Us
The Cons of Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- The Gastric Sleeve is non-reversible.
- There is always the risk of post-surgery complications, including leakage, infections and pneumonia.
- The Gastric Sleeve does not restrict your liquid intake, so high-sugar, caffeinated and carbonated beverages should be avoided.
- You will need to keep motivated with your health plan and focus on eating smaller portions and maintaining proper exercise. The Gastric Sleeve will help you feel less hungry and more full, making your road to weight loss that much easier.*
To learn more about the pros and cons of gastric sleeve surgery, please call Gastric Sleeve Centers at 1-855-690-0559.