Does Cigna Cover Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Cigna HealthCare of California will cover your Gastric Sleeve Surgery as long as your insurance plan's requirements for bariatric surgery are met. Each Cigna California insurance policy can vary on what weight management or bariatric and gastric surgery expenses are covered or excluded, so it may be easier to have our Gastric Sleeve Insurance Coordinators verify your Cigna Gastric Sleeve Surgery coverage for you. Simply give us a call at 1-855-690-0559 or fill out our FREE Gastric Sleeve Insurance Verification Form! Verifying your Gastric Sleeve coverage is hassle-free with no obligation. Even if you don't meet your insurance policy's requirements, we can send a letter of medical necessity, request an individual need assessment and help you through the appeal process if necessary.
Schedule a Free ConsultationContact Us
Cigna Gastric Sleeve Coverage
Every person is different, and so is each insurance plan; Cigna HealthCare of California’s Gastric Sleeve Coverage and pre-approval requirements vary with every insurance policy and potential patient. Per Cigna's Medical Coverage Policy # 0051 regarding Bariatric Surgery, the Gastric Sleeve is now covered by Cigna's insurance plans if patients meet the full requirements.
A Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35 or greater along with a written letter detailing all prior attempts at weight loss programs, including diet and exercise, over the last 5 years may be required by Cigna prior to covering any bariatric procedure. You may also be required to undergo a 6 month supervised diet (nutrition evaluation) and a psychiatric evaluation prior to qualifying for Cigna’s Gastric Sleeve Coverage in California. If Your BMI is below 40, Cigna will also consider all medical issues and problems related to your weight prior to authorizing coverage of your Gastric Sleeve Surgery.
Cigna Gastric Sleeve Requirements
You may automatically pre-qualify for Cigna to cover your Gastric Sleeve Surgery in California if:
- You are 100 pounds or more above ideal weight, or
- You have a Body Mass Index of 40 or greater, or
- You have a Body mass Index of 35 or greater and suffer from a weight-related problem that may be life-threatening or cause disability, including cardiovascular disease, mechanical arthropathy, lower extremity lymphatic or venous obstruction, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, type 2 diabetes, severe obstructive sleep apnea, coronary artery disease or pulmonary hypertension.
- You have been overweight for at least five years, and
- You have been unsuccessful at all weight-loss attempts including diets, exercise and weight loss programs.
Cigna’s inception as an insurance company began in Philadelphia's Independence Hall in 1792 and has grown into a national network with over 500,000 quality health care professionals and over 8,000 hospitals and facilities, offering services in California through Cigna HealthCare of California, Inc. Cigna also offers discount programs for weight management, nutrition products and fitness club memberships.
Other insurance carriers
- Does Blue Cross/Blue Shield cover gastric sleeve?
- Does United Healthcare cover gastric sleeve?
- Does Aetna cover gastric sleeve?
- Does Humana cover gastric sleeve?
Disclaimer: This site is not affiliated with or endorsed by Cigna and is for informational purposes only - The following Cigna Gastric Sleeve guidelines have been compiled from various public sources. It is presented online for informational use only, and without warranty as to its accuracy, timeliness, or completeness. This site does not replace any official versions of the information presented, nor does inclusion on this list guarantee coverage. Please check your Cigna policy before proceeding with your surgery.